Friday, March 9, 2012

AN APOLOGY TO ALL MY ENGLISH TEACHERS

Sometimes.... ok a lot of times, I get a little paranoid knowing that there are English teachers reading this blog.  I feel especially bad for the ones that may have tried to teach me everything they knew only to  see I'm butchering the English language. 

Take heart, here is what I learned in 8th grade:    Is, Am, Are, Was, were, be, being, been, has, have had, do, does, did, shall, will, might, should, could.  Everything I learned from Mr. Vanfossen is right there!!  That's right....linking verbs.  I was not a total English loser!  I believe with Mr Vanfossen we learned linking verbs and the Alma Mater. 

I've always been good at spelling, but I still like spell check it's a life saver at times.  The one thing they haven't perfected is for a program that will read an entire document and fix the grammar mistakes.  I love commas.  I have to fight the urge to put a comma at any point a natural breath could be taken.  If you think I am using too many commas, take heart in knowing that there were at least 15 other instances I wanted to use one, but didn't.  Don't even get me started on colons and semi colons, I just throw those in if I'm feeling it. 

One of my most embarrassing moments (there are so many) was at a church ladies bible study.  I was reading out loud and I read the word misled with a long "I".  Example: 

I was misled into thinking this was a good idea. 

When you read that word with a long "I", it's not even a real word.  Everyone in the bible study was gracious enough to let it slide, E X C E P T......the English Teacher and she busted up laughing.  I believe I even argued with her that Misled with a long "I" was indeed a word and that I had heard it before.  Why would I argue with an English Teacher with a masters degree??  To this day, I believe the word should be hyphenated.  If I'm being taken down the wrong path I am being Mis-led.  If someone takes great advantage of you then you have been misled (long I).  Who do I talk to about this? I really think I'm on to something.  (or is that onto...one word?)

At any rate, if there are any teachers out there who cringe when they read what I write, and you would like a job correcting grammar, let me know.  Otherwise, I'm just going to continue going as I am.   (is that last sentence even a sentence?) oh I could second guess myself forever!!



No comments:

Post a Comment